Drivers' Licences

In this section, you will find information on drivers’ licensing requirements for your assisted transportation service. Licensing requirements are dependent on the method of service delivery and the type of driver your organization chooses (e.g., paid or volunteer).
Drivers' Licenses
In Alberta, a Class 4 licence allows individuals to operate any motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that a holder of a Class 5 licence may operate, as well as a bus that has a seating capacity of not more than 24, an ambulance or taxi, and all motor vehicles under classes 1, 2, 3, and 6 for learning only.
Volunteer Drivers
A Class 4 license is not required when the vehicle owner or operator or the operator's employer drives a private passenger vehicle for the transportation of passengers on an incidental or occasional basis and receives compensation for:
  • Payment for the kilometres travelled, or;
  • Reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses directly related to the transportation (e.g., gas, parking, gate passes, etc.)

Paid Drivers
A Class 4 licence is required when the vehicle owner or operator or the operator's employer is being paid for the service that the vehicle provides. This means that if your transportation service operates a handibus and has a paid driver, the driver is required to have a Class 4 licence.
To be eligible for a Class 4 licence, individuals must have a full Class 5 licence and must be at least 18 years old. Anyone who applies for, or renews, a Class 4 Licence must provide a completed Medical Examination for Motor Vehicle Operators form. This will be required every five years until the age of 45, and then every two years after until the age of 65, and annually thereafter. The application for a Class 4 license includes a knowledge test, a vision test, and a road test. The cost varies by registry, but is approximately $250-$300. See the Government of Alberta's page on Upgrading to a Upgrading to a Professional Driver's License for more information.

For more information, visit Transportation Alberta or contact them at 780-427-2731
(or dial 310-0000 then 780-427-2731 for toll free).